German International School New York, located in Westchester, New York, seeks a business-oriented team member to fill the key position of Business Manager. This person will work directly with the Head of School, Board of Trustees, and faculty and staff in a bilingual environment.
The Business Manager reports directly to the Head of School and is a member of the leadership team.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Finance and accounting
- Risk management and compliance
- Building security and management
- IT Operations
- Admissions and Marketing
Responsible for all employees and procedures and practices within department.
Responsible for maintaining and development of effective control systems in financial long- and short-term planning, including ensuring continued tax-exempt, not for profit status of the school as well as complying with guidelines set by governing German authorities.
Assure compliance with laws and statues and ensure regulatory reports with local, state and federal agencies.
Responsible for employee performance, plus evaluation and development for those under his/her direct supervision.
Responsible for the implementation of the school’s long-term strategy by establishing area specific targets.
Responsible for the annual budget in direct areas of responsibility.
Attends various meetings at the invitation of the Board of Trustees or the Head of School.
Ensures a strong partnership with the Board of Trustees and school management.
Implements additional tasks/projects as assigned by the Head of School.
Finance and Accounting
- Responsible for preparing and reviewing monthly reporting in terms of income, expenses, fixed assets, capital projects as well as enrollment of students.
- Coordinates business office activities including purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivables, and banking.
- Responsible for the preparation of an annual budget, mid-year plan and on demand budget updates.
- Responsible for the annual auditing process.
- Member of the tuition assistance committee and participates in the final decisions on the amount and scope of the financial assistance.
Risk Management and Compliance
- Supports and contributes to security management and training, emergency and crisis management plans, the application and management of insurance contracts, and all reporting requirements of the country, state, and local authorities.
- Ensures that adequate and comprehensive coverage is provided for all risks to buildings, directors, board members, employees and students. Continuously reviewing the school's risk profile in collaboration with the Board of Trustees, plus suggestions for improvement.
Building Security and Operations
- Responsible for the safety and crisis management plan of the building.
- Responsible for the proper operation and security of all properties owned by the school.
- Serves as a property manager, manages leases, rental agreements, rentals and subleases.
- Responsible for the operational functioning of the school’s network infrastructure including the IT security systems (e.g. firewall, virus detectors, proper backup of system).
Admissions & Marketing
- Guides and supports the admissions and marketing team.
- Bachelor's Degree in business, finance or similar fields required; Master's Degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of successful leadership experience, including supervisory responsibilities in a non-profit environment, preferably at an independent school
- Effective and constructive communication and presentation skills that promote results, productivity and teamwork
- Experience in business accounting policies, procedures, practices and accounting programs. Knowledge of accounting software Blackbaud a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong customer orientation
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think and plan strategically and creatively
- Proven experience in monitoring and controlling / managing multiple functions and activities
- Detail-oriented, organized and able to complete projects in a timely manner
- Ability to perform several tasks in a professional and cooperative manner, even under time pressure
- Flexibility in adapting workflows due to unexpected conditions
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Intermediate knowledge of German preferred
Benefits and Compensation:
Health, retirement and other benefits.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to Carol Klessen (add name) at cklessen(a)gisny.org (add mail address).
Start date: ASAP