Deputy Director, Skills Initiative
Reports to: President & CEO
The German American Chamber of Commerce of the Southern United States, Inc. (GACC South) is a private, non-profit organization which serves as the official representative of German industry and trade in the Southern United States (U.S.). Our main mission is to promote and support bilateral trade between Germany and the U.S. Our services focus on the areas of Consulting, Membership, and Apprenticeships. We are part of an international network composed of 150 German foreign chambers of commerce and government offices in 93 countries.
Our Skills Initiative Team supports our member companies and other manufacturers, educational institutions, and government agencies to cover the demand for skilled workforce in various industry sectors in the Southeastern US. To this end, we help with the creation of new programs based on the German model of apprenticeships and assist with the management of existing programs. For more information about our flagship program, please visit our GA CATT home page. GA CATT is an affiliate of the ICATT Apprenticeship Program.
- Develop strategic goals and sustainable business models for GACC South’s Skills Initiative Department
- Serve as key advisor to US partners and workforce development organizations that are interested in the German dual education model.
- Active outreach to key companies, educational institutions, governmental agencies, and other stakeholders to drive the creation of German-style apprenticeship programs in the US. Current focus areas include mechatronics and related areas (CNC, Advanced Manufacturing), but other training areas to be determined such as logistics, business, etc. Ongoing development and refinement of models for implementing dual education models in the US.
- Secure additional revenue streams through grant applications, program fees, testing/certification, etc. to ensure long-term viability of the program.
- Oversight and reporting for existing grant funds according to individual program requirements.
- Budget responsibility for all Skills Initiative activities, including future personnel and resource planning. Monitor and take corrective action as necessary to ensure budget goals are met.
- Ongoing support of the GA CATT program in Georgia, including certification and developing local testing committee structures for adapting and administering German exams and Steering Committee oversight.
- Support development of curriculum and training systems for new programs in the US and position the GACC South as a valued partner for dual education.
- Expand and utilize extensive network of resources in Germany to support these initiatives in the US. Work within the international AHK network, the DIHK, and other key partners to establish best practices and lessons learned.
- Coordinate with other GACC / AHK USA offices to continue to align objectives and methodology; support broader national initiatives and ensure joint quality control structures on an ongoing basis.
- Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate department members according to established GACC South procedures.
- Approve semi-monthly Time & Attendance information of the team to guarantee timely and accurate processing for Payroll.
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality of all client- and GACC South-related information.
- Cross-selling of other GACC South services
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
- 5+ years post-graduate work experience relating to international business and education/vocational training
- Familiarity with German dual vocational education system required, mechatronics or other technical training background is a plus.
- Ability to effectively advise and work with high level partners (CEOs, Presidents of Community Colleges, high level government partners in Southern states, German Embassy, etc.)
- Entrepreneurial spirit to develop opportunities into revenue through grant applications, certification, building clusters of companies and broader consortia to support new initiatives and develop innovative service portfolio of the department
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and German.
- Solid understanding of the US and German markets and cultures.
- Understanding of prioritization and efficient allocation of time and resources: ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated and highly dedicated, positive, professional demeanor
- Ability to motivate and supervise subordinates.
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills
- Desire to work in a team environment.
- Domestic U.S. travel and abroad (Germany) and as assigned by Management; usually 2- 5 days at a time within the region, but may be up to 1 week when traveling to Germany
Work context - Physical requirements:
- Work is performed in an office environment and other locations when on business travel. Employee may be subject to some lifting (filing boxes), and exposure to fumes, chemicals
- The current hybrid work schedule requires a minimum of two days per week onsite in our Atlanta office. This schedule is subject to change in the future based on business needs.