Our client is a German-based leading provider of measurement and control technologies used in metal processing applications. The mid-sized company offers end-to-end solutions to a global customer base via a network of local subsidiaries and strategic partners. Please contact us for additional information about our client and their technology.
The company is currently seeking a General Manager for their US subsidiary to provide overall leadership of the company and local team while driving aggressive sales growth and profitability in the US market. The General Manager reports directly to the CEO of the German parent organization.
- Oversee day-to-day operations and manage a geographically-dispersed team comprised of sales, service technicians and administrative staff. Motivate and mentor employees to ensure high performance and take corrective actions as appropriate.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive Business Development plan to secure aggressive yet sustainable sales growth and increased market share across the United States and Canada; advise German management on strategies and corresponding action plans related to product positioning, market segmentation, marketing initiatives and Key Account management policies.
- Carry P&L responsibility for the US subsidiary; prepare and manage annual/quarterly budgets and sales forecasts and oversee financial reporting to German HQ.
- Revamp sales structures and processes for optimal efficacy, efficiency and scalability. Directly manage routine sales activities with target and existing customers while providing support to sales colleagues throughout the sales process as appropriate, e.g. during contract negotiations.
- Represent the company at relevant trade shows and industry forums; act as a “brand ambassador” to position the company as a high-quality leader in its market segment.
- Conduct regular market scanning and report notable industry trends, technological developments and changes to the competitive landscape to German HQ.
- Support global initiatives of the company as appropriate by collaborating with counterparts at other international subsidiaries.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Business or Engineering discipline is required; an MBA would be of value
- Minimum of 7+ years of experience in Sales/Business Development with a focus on industrial products; successful track record of growing Sales revenues and managing Key Accounts
- Strong technical understanding of client’s industry niche and an extensive network of industry contacts
- Strong strategic acumen with the ability to identify market opportunities and enact action plans to seize them
- Fundamental understanding of sales and general business operations and the ability to optimize processes
- Minimum 2 years’ of P&L responsibility within a manufacturing or trading company
- Strong team leadership skills and the ability to maximize performance of employees across all functions while fostering a collaborative and positive work environment
- German language skills would be advantageous but are not an absolute requirement; candidates should have an appreciation for the German business culture, especially as it pertains to smaller, privately-held niche manufacturers (the so-called ‘Mittelstand’)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Adept at using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- High levels of intrinsic motivation, integrity and business ethics with the ability to foster trust and nurture long-term relationships with the customer base