The German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest / AHK USA-Chicago), headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Michigan, was founded in 1963. GACC Midwest is an integral part of the network of German Chambers of Commerce Abroad (AHKs) with 140 offices in 92 countries around the globe. Our continuing mission is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States, especially the Midwest. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy - quite a unique concept in international trade promotion.
GACC Midwest is seeking a full-time Manager, Membership Engagement to be based out of our Chicago office, reporting to the Vice President. This position is responsible to grow and strengthen GACC Midwest’s membership, and further develop GACC Midwest’s membership engagement throughout the Midwest of the United States. The Chicago based position will closely work together with our Michigan based Manager, Membership Engagement.
This is a highly visible and strong business development role. The individual will be primarily responsible for driving membership growth, connecting members to each other and resources within GACC Midwest, maximizing engagement opportunities with the existing membership base, as well as development and marketing of events, services and opportunities for the membership and potential members.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Proactively identify, meet, and engage prospective members, particularly subsidiaries of German firms, with the clearly defined goal of increasing membership. Integrate these companies into the activities and mission of GACC Midwest, while connecting them to each other and the resources within GACC Midwest.
• Outreach to and visit existing and potential new members at their sites to learn about their operations and businesses to better tailor membership services and events. Meetings can be done independently or with GACC Midwest industry specialists or senior management.
• Market and cross sell a broad range of GACC Midwest activities and services, such as our various networking and roundtable events, Recruiting Services, apprenticeship programs, consulting services, marketing, sponsorship, and advertising opportunities etc.
• Identify new avenues for membership growth and engagement, build beneficial business relationships with various partner organizations (private and public) on local, regional as well as state and federal level.
• Develop strategies and concepts to enhance member benefits and engagement.
• Keep abreast of the latest in transatlantic business developments, as these issues may affect key industries in which our members operate as well as the overall German and American business climate.
• Document all relevant communication with members and potential members within GACC Midwest’s CRM system.
• Support all activities and initiatives of GACC Midwest on a local, regional, national and international basis as appropriate.
• 3+ years of work experience in a membership or business development role. Additional business experience in other roles would also be valuable for this position.
• Self-motivated and highly dedicated
• Proactive and highly responsive
• Strong focus on building and nurturing relationships
• Strong German and English language skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact and engage multiple levels within an organization (C-level, sales, HR, etc.)
• Solid understanding of the US and German markets, business environments and culture
• Ability to generate revenue by selling a range of professional services and other membership benefits/opportunities to a diverse base of companies
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint as well as CRM and mailing/list management systems
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
• Travel required locally, regionally, nationally, and possibly internationally. In this role a significant amount of time will be spent outside the Chamber’s office, visiting current and potential members, or attending Chamber and partner events. In this respect, the ability to drive and access transportation to reach companies/meetings outside of urban areas is essential.
• Must be available to attend Chamber and partner events, including outside of normal business hours.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, dental, life, LTD, 401K
Vacation: 20 days plus all Federal holidays