GACC Midwest is a non-profit organization whose mission is to foster trade and investment between Germany and the U.S. through public functions, membership and consulting. GACC Midwest has an extensive membership network of over 800 distinguished companies, firms, and executives in 14 states, and offers services to help US and German companies succeed in international business. Please visit www.GACCMidwest.org for more information.
As part of the Skills Initiative, GACC Midwest develops and manages a number of apprenticeship programs in the U.S. based on the German apprenticeship model. GACC Midwest founded the Industry Consortium for Advanced Technical Training (ICATT) in 2015 in order to meet the skilled workforce needs of industry through German-style apprenticeship programs, especially in manufacturing. GACC Midwest is responsible for developing, marketing and managing programs; consulting with political and other stakeholders on a local, regional and national level; and developing and implementing examinations based on the German standards.
The Company Account Manager, Apprenticeship Programs will be primarily responsible for advising companies on the apprenticeship programs managed by GACC Midwest, determining suitability, and increasing the number of company participants.
This position will work with the larger team of GACC Midwest’s Apprenticeship Programs to coordinate outreach to both companies and potential apprentices.
The role of the Company Account Manager, Apprenticeship Programs may entail any of, but is not limited to, the following areas and responsibilities:
- Advise companies on their customized apprenticeship training plans based on the standard training content and curricula, which may include but is not limited to
- Coordinate employer onboarding meeting
- Facilitate and coordinate college instructor’s employer site visits
- Evaluate available equipment and resources for training, based on GACC Midwest material
- Recommend resources to help company internal training
- Check in regularly with trainers at Network Companies as well as with apprentices to ensure success and satisfaction; identify potential issues early on and drive corrective action as necessary
- Acquire new participating companies for the ICATT Apprenticeship Program in existing Midwestern states, with future geographic expansion possible. This may include but is not limited to:
- Identify and directly contact companies in order to expand existing clusters and build new clusters for the ICATT Apprenticeship Programs
- Advise companies on how the GACC Midwest’s apprenticeship programs can help them meet their objectives related to a skilled manufacturing workforce.
- Organize employer events, especially leveraging current companies, to create leads and new opportunities for apprenticeship programs
- Work with local workforce boards to identify prospects and create leads
- Attend job fairs in order to network with employers
- Actively work with associations, educational institutions, governmental agencies and other stakeholders to promote German-style apprenticeship programs in the US
- Communicate effectively with program stakeholders
- Document activities according to GACC Midwest and program policies
The Company Account Manager will also work closely with and support team members who are primarily responsible for the following areas:
- Candidate Outreach (i.e. acquisition of participating apprentices), to provide interested potential candidates with relevant information about careers in manufacturing (in person and in print) as well as to facilitate effective selection and hiring of apprentices
- Apprentice examinations
- 3-5 years of work experience
- Minimum Associate degree in a relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Direct experience or knowledge of either of the following is desired; candidates lacking this experience but with strong willingness to quickly learn are encouraged to apply:
- German (European) style apprenticeships
- Manufacturing processes and related equipment
- Consultative sales mentality and ability to develop and nurture long-term positive relationships with multiple touchpoints within participating companies
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects
- Availability for regular overnight travel within the Midwest (1-2 nights). Occasional travel of up to 5-7 days at a time in the United States may also be required.
- Valid driver’s license and access to vehicle for regular company visits
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and highly dedicated
- Desire to work in a cooperative team environment