Who Are We?
The continuing mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest/AHK USA-Chicago), a 501 (c)(6) organization headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Michigan, is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the Midwestern region of the United States. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy - quite a unique concept in international trade promotion. Read more about our organization at www.gaccmidwest.org
Are you a detail-oriented accountant with a passion for international trade and commerce? We are on the lookout for a talented Staff Accountant to be based in our Chicago Downtown office.
What does this role entail?
The Staff Accountant’s role includes, but is not limited to:
- Accounts receivable accounting, including correspondence with US and German clients, other AHKs (German chambers of commerce abroad) and IHKs (chambers of commerce in Germany.)
- Performing monthly bank reconciliations, including German EUR bank accounts
- Assisting departmental staff throughout chamber with various accounting and/or CRM/software topics
- Assisting consulting department with accounting topics pertaining to Virtual Office clients based in Germany who are represented out of the GACC office, especially with respect to their banking relationships
- Performing monthly reconciliation of accounts and subledgers, including multi-currency subledgers (USD and EUR)
- Maintaining affiliated company subledgers
- Assisting Senior Accountant with monthly financial statements based on US GAAP
- Assisting Senior Accountant with quarterly and annual financial statements/forecasts based on German reporting requirements as needed
- Assisting Senior Accountant with preparation of annual budget proposal based on German reporting requirements as needed
- Preparing schedules for annual independent audit and tax returns
- Executing special projects as needed
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting plus 1+ years of accounting experience
- General knowledge of US accounting standards
- Strong German language ability (verbal and written)
- Cross-cultural competency, preferably in German and US business environments
- Strong proficiency in accounting systems (NetSuite preferred)
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word/Excel)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Team player with good communication and interpersonal skills
Why GACC Midwest?
At GACC Midwest, we believe that our benefits should make a difference - to you, your job, today and in the future. We are dedicated to supporting our most valuable asset, our employees!
- Team spirit instead of rigid hierarchies
- Competitive vacation policy, starting with 20 days, increasing with seniority up to 30 days
- 14 paid holidays including Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, plus additional days around Thanksgiving and Year End
- Health insurance with multiple plan options and networks (BlueCross / BlueShield HMO, PPO, HSA) & Guardian dental and vision
- 401(k) matching with a competitive, discretionary employer contribution
- Company-paid Life Insurance + AD&D/additional voluntary life + AD&D (also for spouse and children)
- Wellness incentives: access to fitness center and complementary yoga classes
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Long-Term Disability
- FSA Health Care and dependent care
- FSA commuter (transit and/or parking)
- Goal oriented bonus plan
- Plus: Work from Home Policy, Flex-Time Policy
- We offer German classes in collaboration with the Goethe Institute
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. GACC Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law. Potential employees are subject to background checks.