Location: Chicago, IL (50-60% travel required)
Our client is the US representation of Europe’s largest industrial association, representing 3,600 companies across a variety of machinery and equipment sectors. Headquartered in Frankfurt/Germany with several offices around the globe and more than 500 employees, the company offers comprehensive support to German companies venturing into foreign export and investment locations. As the US is the largest export and investment location for German machinery manufacturers, interest in expanding current manufacturing efforts in the US market is rapidly growing with network connections being formed throughout.
The company is now seeking a highly proactive Program Manager, Member Engagement to supervise their newly formed membership network of several hundred US subsidiaries of German and European machinery companies. This role aims to connect and create firm collaboration between member organizations resulting in enhanced business opportunities, improved business practices, and knowledge exchange of common experiences shared by fellow members throughout the industry. This position will be based out of Chicago, IL.
- Regularly conceptualize and create events for member companies in relevant geographic company clusters (e.g., Chicago, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Atlanta, North and South Carolina, among others). Event programming will be tailored to the requirements and interest of member companies, but will usually feature roundtable discussions, dinners, luncheons and beneficial networking receptions. Virtual events are a possibility, but the emphasis is on in-person events.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date database of our client's member companies that have investments in the United States, with designated contact persons within those US subsidiaries.
- Coordinate efforts with the Trade Policy Director in Washington D.C. and the Foreign Trade department in Frankfurt.
- Support for the company's members from Germany in setting up activities in the United States.
- Establish newsletter distribution lists to forward pertinent information and news for member companies.
- Collaborate with other business organizations offering similar member-oriented services.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, e.g., in member support, event planning/production
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable fields, e.g., International Relations, Trade, Economics, Politics, Business
- Effective networking skills with the ability of creating/maintaining professional business relationships
- Prior work experience in German/European industry is not required but strongly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an outgoing personality and willingness to speak in public
- Willingness to travel frequently within the United States, and occasionally to Germany. Willingness to perform occasional tasks during early-morning hours