Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI) is the economic development agency of the Federal Republic of Germany. We strengthen the German economy by informing German companies about export markets, by attracting and advising foreign companies to enter the German market, and by marketing Germany as an attractive business location in Germany as well as abroad.
Germany Trade & Invest's investor recruitment activities aim to attract foreign companies for Germany as a business location. International teams with diverse professional and academic experience work in our divisions to respectively provide the best support to our customers. With our partners in Germany and abroad, we offer one of the best platforms for German foreign trade promotion.
As Director USA at our San Francisco location, you will be our local investor recruiter and responsible for direct contact with companies, partners, institutions, and political decision-makers. You identify and concretize trend topics in the US that are economically relevant for Germany. You will be the first point of contact for investor recruitment for local companies, contacting and developing companies from the US to become investors in Germany, in close coordination with and on behalf of investor recruitment in Berlin. You will take the lead in preparing and managing investor recruitment events in the US.
For this position, we are looking for an experienced, excellently qualified, and motivated employee who will contribute to achieving the ambitious goals. For the position of Director USA at our San Francisco location, in addition to general investor acquisition requirements, you should be able to demonstrate profound knowledge of the US and German economy and culture and be able to draw on an existing strong network of decision-makers in US companies. In return, we offer you a position at the interface between business, politics, and society with a high proportion of international work. Together in a highly motivated and challenging team, we work on economic topics that move Germany forward.
We are looking for you as Director USA for the investor recruitment department at our San Francisco location, and would like to fill this position as soon as possible. Germany Trade & Invest maintains a close working partnership with the German Chamber of Commerce in the US (AHK USA) which is why the successful applicant will be employed through the AHK USA.
• Lead the US office of Germany Trade & Invest's investor recruitment with one local employee
• Develop and coordinate an overall annual strategy for GTAI to attract investors to the US in close coordination with the industry sectors
• Independently analyze economic trends and US industries to identify potential companies that can be attracted to expand to Germany, as well as contact decision-makers and conduct informational and recruitment interviews
• Represent GTAI and actively approach and attract investors at events, e.g., trade shows, conferences, workshops, and webinars
• Shape the cooperation with the GTAI correspondent and the AHK USA
• Establish and maintain contacts with economic, political, and social decision-makers in scope, companies in the target segments, trade associations, institutions, and authorities in Germany and abroad, and develop cooperation offers
• Plan, document and manage the investment projects in the supporting systems, e.g., CRM
• High affinity for US business culture and the US-German relationship, demonstrated several months of related in-country experience
• Excellent presentation and negotiation skills in English; at least proven C1 German language skills are desirable
• A university degree in economics, business administration, economic geography, industrial engineering, or related fields, supplemented by management qualifications, preferably an MBA
• In-depth knowledge and experience in the areas of market analysis, competitive analysis, strategy development for companies and business units
• Knowledge of research and economic trends, topics, and their players in the US and Germany. Knowledge of national framework conditions in the respective industries
• Knowledge of economic structures in Germany and US institutions relevant for direct investments from the US to Germany
• Sound knowledge and experience in project management
• Proven experience of at least one year of leadership responsibility
• Professional skills and experience in structuring and visualizing on-screen presentations
• Barrier-free professional handling of mobile applications on smartphones, tablets, etc., office software, CRM software, ERP software and web-based software in the context of presentation, communication, and work organization
• Solid application experience in the use of social media to communicate and support business development
• Existing contacts to decision-makers in US industrial companies as well as excellent networking and development skills
• Very good analytical skills
• Strong communication "self-starter" personality with confident demeanor and negotiation skills
• Willingness for worldwide travel
Annual salary range: $100,000-$120,000 annually.
Does this job appeal to you and do you see yourself in the profile described? Then please apply including your application documents via our online application form