The German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest / AHK USA-Chicago), headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Detroit, was founded in 1963. GACC Midwest is an integral part of the network of German Chambers of Commerce Abroad (AHKs) with 140 offices in 92 countries around the globe. Our continuing mission is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States, especially the Midwest. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy-quite a unique concept in international trade promotion.
GACC Midwest is seeking a full-time Manager, Membership Engagement to be based in our Chicago office. This position is responsible for membership development, outreach and engagement for GACC Midwest’s largest membership cluster in Illinois. This is a strong business development role. The individual will be primarily responsible for driving membership growth, connecting members to each other and resources within GACC Midwest, maximizing engagement opportunities with the existing membership base, and marketing the Chamber’s various events, services and opportunities to the membership and potential members.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Proactively identify, meet, and engage prospective members, particularly subsidiaries of German firms, with the clearly defined goal of increasing membership. Integrate these companies into the activities and mission of GACC Midwest, while connecting them to each other and the resources within GACC Midwest.
• Actively visit existing and potential new members at their sites to learn about their operations and businesses in order to better tailor membership services and events. Some meetings will be done independently, while others will be accompanied by GACC Midwest industry specialists or senior management.
• Market and cross-sell a broad range of GACC Midwest activities and services, such as our various events, Recruiting Services, apprenticeship programs, marketing and advertising opportunities, networking and roundtable events, sponsorship opportunities, etc.
• Identify new avenues for membership growth, building beneficial business relationships with various partner organizations, local associations, etc.
• Develop strategies and concepts to enhance member benefits and engagement.
• Keep abreast of the latest in transatlantic business developments as these issues may affect key industries in which our members operate as well as the overall German and American business climate.
• Document all relevant communication with members and potential members within GACC Midwest’s CRM system.
• Support all activities and initiatives of GACC Midwest on a local, regional, national and international basis as appropriate.
• 3+ years of work experience in a membership or business development role. Additional business experience in other roles would also be valuable for this position.
• Strong focus on building and nurturing relationships
• Proactive and highly responsive
• Strong German and English language skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact and engage multiple levels within an organization (C-level, sales, HR, etc.)
• Solid understanding of the US and German markets, business environments and culture
• Ability to generate revenue by selling effectively a range of professional services and other membership benefits/opportunities to a diverse base of companies.
• Self-motivated and highly dedicated
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint as well as CRM and mailing/list management systems
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
• Travel required locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. In this role a significant amount of time will be spent outside the Chamber office, visiting current and potential members or attending Chamber and partner events. In this respect, the ability to drive and access transportation to reach companies/meetings outside of urban areas is essential.
• Must be available to attend Chamber and partner events, including outside of normal business hours.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, dental, life, LTD, 401K
Vacation: 20 days plus all Federal holidays
Information for applicants: Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to answer each application personally. We review all incoming applications and if we find your skills meet our particular needs, we will contact you.
No phone calls, please. Thank you!
Please note that this is a full-time position in Chicago, not a part-time or external contractor position.