Location: Home Office located near customer clusters in the Midwest and Southeast regions. Candidates should ideally reside in greater Chicago, IL or Atlanta, GA. Candidates must be available for frequent travel (up to 75%).
Our client is a German-based leading provider of custom-engineered solutions for the thermal treatment of foodstuffs with a focus on meat and sausage products. The family-owned company has over 70 years of experience offering innovative process equipment and plant engineering services to customers in over 50 countries worldwide.
Our client has been active in the US market for decades and has built up a local customer base via partnerships with external sales agents. The company is currently in the process of establishing a US subsidiary to strengthen and expand their presence in the local market. The company is seeking a hands-on, entrepreneurial Technical Sales Manager with a ‘hunter’ mentality to serve as their first US-based employee. This opportunity offers substantial scope for professional growth within a successful, globally-operating company, including the potential to assume a leadership role for the US subsidiary in the medium-term as it grows over time.
- In close coordination with the German Management team, develop and execute a strategic Sales plan for the US market which positions our client for strong and sustainable growth in revenues and market share within a competitive sector. Propose localized marketing strategies that support direct sales activities.
- Lead consultative sales activities from lead generation to system delivery. Aggressively develop and qualify sales leads via direct outreach, trade shows and other appropriate channels and identify relevant key decision-makers at target accounts. Schedule meetings with them to present our client's capabilities and system USPs.
- Conduct individualized needs assessments of potential clients’ production facilities. Work closely with Engineering teams at target accounts as well as with internal colleagues at company HQ in Germany to develop solutions that meet customers’ unique application requirements. Develop corresponding project quotations that ensure acceptable profit margins and lead contract negotiations with client companies.
- Build up and manage a nationwide network of dealers/distributors as appropriate.
- Maintain strong relationships with customers and serve as a reliable technical resource for them.
- Track all sales activities per established company procedures in the CRM system.
- Influence ongoing product development by providing valuable market feedback to German HQ related to local market trends and customer requirements
- Follow all established company policies and procedures and act at all times with the highest levels of professionalism and integrity.
- 3+ years of experience in consultative technical sales of production equipment and custom engineered solutions in the food industry, ideally with a focus on meat and sausage processing.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant Engineering or Business discipline is required; candidates without a formal Engineering education must demonstrate advanced technical skills gained through prior employment or other training.
- Strong knowledge of leading technologies and production techniques used in food processing as well as a rolodex of relevant industry contacts.
- Strong German language abilities and intercultural awareness are highly preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a ‘hunter’ approach to sales. Candidates should have a high degree of self-motivation and the ability to work independently.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to spend time training at company HQ in Germany.