Position: Manager, Marketing & Communication
The German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, Inc. (GACC Midwest), is looking for a self-motivated and highly dedicated full-time Manager, Marketing & Communication with 3-5 years of work experience to be based in our Chicago office.
Who are we?
The continuing mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest/AHK USA-Chicago), a 501 (c)(6) organization headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Michigan, is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the Midwestern region of the United States. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy - quite a unique concept in international trade promotion. Read more about our organization at www.gaccmidwest.org
What does this role entail?
The Manager, Marketing & Communication will work closely with all internal departments (Consulting Services, Membership & Events, Apprenticeship Networks and Christkindlmarket) on day-to-day PR- and Marketing Communication deliverables as well as on special projects and initiatives to ensure their respective success. The ideal candidate will further develop GACC Midwest as a brand with broader efforts to increase awareness and shape brand perception. The Manager, Marketing & Communication should bring a creative approach to drafting original content and graphic design (e.g., for press releases, social media, articles for publications, website copy and visuals) all while promoting our events, services, and initiatives. This individual will also assist in further sales/business development responsibilities for featured advertisements in our publications (print and digital) and event marketing/sponsorship packages with strong project management skills being needed to succeed in this role. Candidates must be diligent multi-taskers who thrive in collaborative team environments in which shifting tasks and priorities are common.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and update content of GACC Midwest’s website using and implementing SEO guidelines
- Provide creative input for new content, campaigns and channels as well as content proofreading and content sourcing for internal and external partners
- Create original copy for various print and digital marketing channels
- Design visually compelling layouts for print/digital media, banners, ads, etc. that reinforces desired messaging
- Manage relationships with partners, member companies and all departments of the organization
- Work under strict deadlines while being able to prioritize overlapping project responsibilities
- Ensure regular and clear communication to update on project processes and timelines, with process optimization development as needed
- Coordinate production of print, digital and promotional products with third parties
- Attend and support events, for example with prepared presentations, on-site photography/video support and social media content creation
- Support departmental financial goals by actively selling advertisements/event sponsorship
- Other duties include supporting GACC Midwest events and initiatives, including those not directly related to the Marketing & Communication Department
Who are we looking for?
- 3-5 years of work experience in the Marketing, PR and Communication field, either for an agency or within the Marketing department of an organization
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Marketing or Communication or equivalent experience
- Excellent English language skills and good German language skills, both written and verbal
- Solid understanding of B2B marketing concepts and best practices
- Advanced proficiency in usage of the following programs: Microsoft 365 (Outlook, SharePoint, Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Adobe InDesign, Canva, Word Press and Illustrator, Constant Contact and Photoshop
- Experience with website and social media analytics
- Candidates must periodically be available outside of core working hours (including some weekends) in order to meet major deadlines or to support GACC Midwest events
- Candidate should possess a customer service mentality with an ability to manage several simultaneous projects and overlapping cross-departmental responsibilities
- Desire to work in a cooperative team environment where each member assists where needed
- Limited travel is required on a as-needed project/event basis. In this respect, the ability to drive or access transportation to reach companies as well as other stakeholders to conduct meetings is necessary
Why GACC Midwest?
At GACC Midwest, we believe that our benefits should make a difference - to you, your job, today and in the future. We are dedicated to supporting our most valuable asset, our employees!
- Team spirit instead of rigid hierarchies
- Competitive vacation policy, starting with 20 days, increasing with seniority up to 30 days
- 14 paid holidays including Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, plus additional days around Thanksgiving and Year End
- Health insurance with multiple plan options and networks (BlueCross / BlueShield HMO, PPO, HSA) & Guardian dental and vision
- 401(k) matching with a competitive, discretionary employer contribution
- Company-paid Life Insurance + AD&D/additional voluntary life + AD&D (also for spouse and children)
- Wellness incentives: access to fitness center and complementary yoga classes
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Long-Term Disability
- FSA Health Care and dependent care
- FSA commuter (transit and/or parking)
- Goal oriented bonus plan
- Plus: Work from Home Policy, Flex-Time Policy
- We offer German classes in collaboration with the Goethe Institute
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. GACC Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law. Potential employees are subject to background checks.