Position: Field Service Engineer (full-time)
Location: Detroit Metropolitan Area. Ideally located within 45 minutes of a major airport. Domestic travel (60-70%) required as well as periodic travel to Mexico and Canada.
Our client is a well-established US-subsidiary of a German-based progressive laser materials processing machinery company specializing in the design, construction, sales and service of industrial laser equipment for 3D laser engraving, cutting, marking and welding, which involves a high level of automation. Located in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area, the company provides its high-quality technology to a variety of target industries including aerospace and defense, medical and automotive markets.
Do you thrive when solving problems on your own or as part of a team? Do you enjoy travel, learning about new places, and meeting new people? As a Field Service Engineer, you will combine your skills within customer service, electrical and control systems knowledge to install, repair, troubleshoot, modify and test complex technical problems on high-precision machines for laser material processing.
Why this opportunity is right for you:
- Highly competitive salary along with three weeks paid vacation, sick days and 11+ holidays
- Mileage reimbursement, cell phone, laptop, tools, and a variety of company apparel available
- During the 1st 6 months the Field Service Engineer will travel to German HQ for training periodically and also train in the field. After training, the travel will become more regional coverage
- The Field Service Engineer will travel overnight and will receive a coverage of monthly expenses covered (up to $5k) with options of bi-weekly reimbursements available if needed
- Lead the on-site installation of applicable laser machine systems and offer high level technical support and training at the installed base
- Perform service maintenance and repair work for installed systems and support clients with technical troubleshooting
- Generate field service reports and collaborate with Service Manager
- Conduct factory acceptance testing of machines on order at the company’s German production site
- Perform laser applications testing in-house in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area
- Assistance with the Sales Team on customer demonstrations where necessary
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Electrical bias – 70% electrical, 30% mechanical
- Experience with PC based machine controllers and automation
- Industrial laser materials processing equipment experience desirable, but training is provided
- CNC machine/EDM machine experience desirable
- Hands-on experience working in laser application labs desirable
- Experience in reading wiring diagrams and tracing electrical faults
- To complete training at German HQ, valid passport required
- Extensive travel necessary, current valid drivers’ license required