About the employer and this position:
Berlin Business Office, USA (BBO) located in New York is part of the Berlin Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises. The primary mission of its ca. 350 employees is to facilitate a framework and environment with the objective to attract companies worldwide to expand to Berlin and to support Berlin companies to grow within a global competitive market. Its successful strategy focuses on the proven strengths of Berlin to the U.S. business, tech, and government communities by highlighting:
· Outstanding locations for research, technology, commerce and industry, startups and labs
· Attractive, international location for qualified and motivated professionals
· Impressive and creative diversity with an outstanding quality of life.
In order to achieve its goals, BBO is looking for a
BBO is looking for a goal-oriented individual who enjoys economic/business development, initiating and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships, and working internationally. The responsibilities of the Deputy Director include lead generation, project development, investment/expansion projects and location marketing.
- Attract US companies for Berlin as a business location in coordination with BPWT:
- Identify, contact and attract US companies and investors for Berlin as a business location focusing on established Berlin business clusters.
- Position Berlin as an international city for industry, innovation, startups and labs (keyword - ”Berlin as international city of innovation”) in which established companies collaborate with startups and research institutions fostering joint innovation.
- Analyze the interests of US companies; introduce proposals that may have been prepared in Berlin; participate in the generation of leads; facilitate meetings; follow up with contacts.
- Support of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and startups from Berlin that wish to expand to the US market or that are already involved in the US market. Support for designated projects from Berlin; (duplication with existing proposals is to be avoided in this context):
- Match Berlin SMEs and startups in the US (“be a guide”) with potential business partners, authorities and institutions, find contacts regarding financial and legal topics.
- Matchmaking for Berlin startups particularly in regard to market entry, financing, skilled personnel and strategic partners.
- Identify industry specific market opportunities for SMEs from Berlin.
- Facilitate company exchanges and potential clusters in view of public requests for proposal.
- Accompany and support Berlin companies during networking with US companies and scientific institutions.
- Support the creation of content for and the organization of delegation trips or Berlin projects in the US (Start Alliance, etc.).
- Highly visible management position, the Deputy Director and the Managing Director will strategize on sound economic development strategies and implementation
- The Deputy Director serves as BBO’s Managing Director in the Managing Director’s absence
- Duties and responsibilities Daily database maintenance, answering inquiries from U.S. and Berlin companies and organizations
- Research to identify target companies via internet research, business intelligence tools, publications, etc.
- Identify industry specific market opportunities for SMEs from Berlin
- Organize networking and partnering event to strengthen connections between the U.S. & Berlin
- Attend industry conferences and networking events – virtually/NY/international
- Create content and organize delegation trips/Berlin projects in the U.S.
- In collaboration with partners (Berlin Partner for Economics & Technology, IHK Berlin, IBB, and the Governing Mayor’s office) create content for social media, mailing campaigns, and press releases
- Participate and plan own business & tech events and trade shows in target industries
- Minimum Master’s degree
- Fluency and exceptional communication skills in German and English.
- Experience in international business, economic development, sales, marketing, consulting or site selection, or in supporting of SME’s with market entries
- Excellent knowledge of Berlin as a business location, its key industry clusters, and its startup ecosystem
- Competence in business process management and presentation
- Highly motivated professional and service-oriented individual with an outgoing personality
- Excellent computer skills (entire MS Office Suite; InDesign a plus)
- Previous work experience in Berlin/Germany is a plus
- Be part of an international team in the heart of New York’s financial district co-located at the German American Chamber of Commerce, Inc.
- Work in one of the most important business and technology center in the United States
- Become knowledgeable of all aspects of economic development, as BBO engages with clients, U.S. counterparts, German Consulates, Berlin Partner, IHK Berlin, etc.
- Networking opportunities with large corporations, innovative startups, industry associations
- Able to incorporate new ideas and contribute to strategy development and implementation
- Competitive salary plus benefits
Please note: In compliance with U.S. federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in English addressed to Kristina L. García, Managing Director, Berlin Business Office, USA,