Who are we?
The continuing mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest/AHK USA-Chicago), a 501 (c)(6) organization headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Michigan, is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the Midwestern region of the United States. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy - quite a unique concept in international trade promotion. Read more about our organization at www.gaccmidwest.org
GACC Midwest is seeking a full-time Manager, Membership Engagement to be based out of our Chicago office, reporting to the Director, Marketing, Membership & Events. This position is responsible to grow and strengthen GACC Midwest’s membership, and further develop GACC Midwest’s membership engagement throughout the Midwest of the United States.
What does this role entail?
This is a highly visible and strong business development role. The individual will be primarily responsible for driving membership growth, connecting members to each other, and resources within GACC Midwest, maximizing engagement opportunities with the existing membership base, as well as development and marketing of events, services and opportunities for the membership and potential members. The ideal candidate will be able to create memberships with potential clients that strengthen the German-American connection throughout the Midwest region of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing potential collaboration between the chamber and its clients.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Proactively identify, meet, and engage prospective members, particularly subsidiaries of German firms, with the clearly defined goal of increasing membership. Integrate these companies into the activities and mission of GACC Midwest, while connecting them to each other and the resources within GACC Midwest.
- Outreach to and visit existing and potential new members at their sites to learn about their operations and businesses to better tailor membership services and events. Meetings can be done independently or with GACC Midwest industry specialists or senior management.
- Market and cross sell a broad range of GACC Midwest activities and services, such as our various networking and roundtable events, recruiting services, apprenticeship programs, consulting services, as well as marketing, sponsorship, and advertising opportunities etc.
- Identify new avenues for membership growth and engagement, build beneficial business relationships with various partner organizations (private and public) on local, regional as well as state and federal level.
- Develop strategies and concepts to enhance member benefits and engagement.
- Keep abreast of the latest in transatlantic business developments, as these issues may affect key industries in which our members operate as well as the overall German and American business climate.
- Document all relevant communication with members and potential members within GACC Midwest’s CRM system.
- Support all activities and initiatives of GACC Midwest on a local, regional, national and international basis as appropriate.
Who are we looking for?
- 3+ years of work experience in a membership or business development role. Additional business experience in other roles would also be valuable for this position
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact and engage multiple levels within an organization (C-level, sales, HR, etc.)
- Strong German and English language skills, both written and verbal
- Self-motivated and highly dedicated
- Proactive and highly responsive
- Strong focus on building and nurturing relationships
- Solid understanding of the US and German markets, business environments and culture
- Ability to generate revenue by selling a range of professional services and other membership benefits/opportunities to a diverse base of companies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint as well as CRM and mailing/list management systems
- Travel is required domestically, and possibly internationally. A significant amount of time will be spent outside the Chamber’s office, visiting current and potential members, or attending Chamber and partner events. In this respect, the ability to drive and access transportation to reach companies/meetings outside of urban areas is essential
- Must be available to attend Chamber and partner events, including outside of normal business hours
Why GACC Midwest?
At GACC Midwest, we believe that our benefits should make a difference - to you, your job, today and in the future. We are dedicated to supporting our most valuable asset, our employees!
- Team spirit instead of rigid hierarchies
- Competitive vacation policy, starting with 20 days, increasing with seniority up to 30 days
- 14 paid holidays including Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, plus additional days around Thanksgiving and Year End
- Health insurance with multiple plan options and networks (BlueCross / BlueShield HMO, PPO, HSA) & Guardian dental and vision
- 401(k) matching with a competitive, discretionary employer contribution
- Company-paid Life Insurance + AD&D/additional voluntary life + AD&D (also for spouse and children)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Long-Term Disability
- FSA Health Care and dependent care
- FSA commuter (transit and/or parking)
- Goal oriented bonus plan
- Plus: Work from Home Policy, Flex-Time Policy
- We offer German classes in collaboration with the Goethe Institute
Please note, we require all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. GACC Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law. Potential employees are subject to background checks.