Are you a consummate networker with a passion for international business? Are you interested in building and nurturing business relationships with companies across a broad range of industry sectors? If so, our open Manager, Membership Engagement role may be a great fit for you!
Who Are We?
The continuing mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest / AHK USA-Chicago), a 501 (c)(6) organization headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Michigan, is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the Midwestern region of the United States. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy - quite a unique concept in international trade promotion. Read more about our organization at www.gaccmidwest.org
What does this role entail?
The Manager, Membership Engagement will be based out of our Michigan office and will report to the Vice President and will drive the growth of GACC Midwest’s membership base while strengthening relationships with our diverse member companies throughout the Midwest - with a special focus on Michigan and adjacent states. The Manager, Membership Engagement will work closely with a counterpart at our main office in Chicago. This is a highly visible position within our extensive business network with a strong Business Development focus.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Proactively identify, meet, and engage prospective members, particularly local subsidiaries of German-based firms, with the clearly defined goal of increasing membership. Integrate these companies into the network, activities, and mission of GACC Midwest, while connecting them to each other and to resources within GACC Midwest.
- Visit existing and potential new members at their sites to learn about their operations and businesses to better tailor membership services and events. Meetings may be done independently or in tandem with GACC Midwest industry specialists or senior management.
- Market and cross-sell a broad range of GACC Midwest activities and services, such as our various networking and roundtable events, recruiting services, apprenticeship programs, consulting services, marketing, sponsorship, and advertising opportunities etc.
- Identify new avenues for membership growth and engagement and build beneficial business relationships with various partner organizations (private and public) on local, regional as well as state and federal levels.
- Develop strategies and concepts to enhance member benefits and engagement.
- Keep abreast of the latest in transatlantic business developments, as these issues may affect key industries in which our members operate as well as the overall German and American business climate.
- Document all relevant communication with members and potential members within GACC Midwest’s CRM system.
- Support all activities and initiatives of GACC Midwest on a local, regional, national, and international basis as appropriate.
Who are we looking for?
- 3+ years of work experience in a membership or business development role. Additional business experience in other roles would also be valuable for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Self-motivated and highly dedicated, proactive and highly responsive
- Strong focus on building and nurturing relationships
- Strong German and English language skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively engage and interact with multiple levels within an organization (C-level, sales, HR, etc.)
- Solid understanding of the US and German markets, business environments and culture
- Ability to generate revenue by selling a range of professional services and other membership benefits/opportunities to a diverse base of companies
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint) as well as CRM and mailing/list management systems
- Travel is required. In this role a significant amount of time will be spent outside the Chamber’s office, visiting current and potential members, or attending Chamber and partner events. In this respect, the ability to drive and access transportation to reach companies/meetings outside of urban areas is essential.
- Must be available to attend Chamber and partner events, including outside of normal business hours.
Why GACC Midwest?
At GACC Midwest, we believe that our benefits should make a difference - to you, your job, today and in the future. We are dedicated to supporting our most valuable asset, our employees!
- 20 paid vacation days
- 14 Paid holidays including Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, plus additional days around Thanksgiving and Year End
- “Unlimited” Sick Day Policy
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance with multiple plan options and networks (BlueCross / BlueShield HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Employee Life / Spouse Life
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Life Insurance + (AD&D)/ Spouse AD&D
- Long-Term Disability
- FSA Health Care / FSA Transit
- 401(k) matching with a competitive, discretionary employer contribution
- Bonus plan
- Plus: Work from Home Policy, Flex-Time Policy
- We offer German classes in collaboration with the Goethe Institute
Please note that we require all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. GACC Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law. Potential employees are subject to background checks.