Our client is the well-established North American HQ of a German-based leading provider of sustainable electric mobility on water. They are currently seeking a Field Service Engineer to install and commission complex electric propulsive systems as well as perform maintenance and troubleshooting of existing systems. The Field Service Engineer will work primarily from the company's office in the Northwest Chicago suburbs; partial work-from-home may be available.
The Field Service Engineer will work in a local team of roughly 20 passionate and innovative employees and will contribute to further building an exceptional company. Candidates must be available for frequent travel nationwide (60%).
- Lead the on-site installation and commissioning of standard, high-power (400V) electric propulsive systems directly into marine vessels (both commercial and pleasure boats), managing all aspects of the project cycle. During the initial phase of each project, work closely with boat manufacturers on a remote basis to ensure that the company's systems are properly mechanically mounted onto the marine vessels and then perform an on-site quality check. Subsequently perform the installation and commissioning of all related electrical components and assemblies as well as the company’s proprietary system software. Finally, perform testing of the installed system for functionality and safety under load.
- Work with the company’s Applications Engineering team based in Germany to design non-standard systems per customer specifications, which may also incorporate additional hardware such as PV panels, power generators, and DC/AC or DC/DC converters. Complete the on-site installation and commissioning of non-standard systems as outlined above.
- Plan and execute routine service maintenance and repair work for installed systems and support clients with technical troubleshooting should performance issues arise. This will be done primarily using remote-based tools, but travel to customer sites may also be required.
- Support relevant colleagues as required with technical troubleshooting/repairs for the company's low-voltage products (electric motor and lithium battery systems).
- Support the further development of relevant service-related documents as required, e.g. installation manuals, commissioning guides, maintenance documents, etc.
- Provide consultant-level services for customers, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction at all times.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or similar discipline is highly desired; candidates with other forms of advanced technical training in the field may also be considered. High Voltage Certification is preferred.
- Minimum 2-5+ years of experience in the installation, commissioning and service maintenance of complex electrical systems.
- Applications Engineering experience would be of significant value.
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Strong customer-centric focus built upon exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and ability/willingness to learn the company’s proprietary software.
- Candidates should ideally have experience or interest in the marine industry.