Job Title: Country Sales Director North America for Underberg
Location: Home office (close to the office in Englewood Cliffs, NJ)
Field/Department: General Sales Management
Underberg is a German family-owned alcoholic beverage producer that was founded in 1846. The company is known worldwide for its herbal digestive which together with other brands are being produced and sold in more than 80 countries including the US where the company has a sales office.
In the US, Underberg herbal digestive is imported directly by the US subsidiary (Underberg Sales Corporation) as the product is classified under FDA regulations and is sold through its own distribution network. All other products are “spirits” and are imported by Duggan’s Distiller’s Products Corporation and sold in wine and spirit stores and via on-premise accounts through alcoholic beverage distributors. In Canada, the portfolio is managed by a marketing and sales agent based in Toronto, ONT (PMA).
With the intention to grow, a new strategic plan with the US as a Key Market has been developed, and the US subsidiary is consequently looking for a new Country Sales Director North America to execute these growth plans. There’s planning for additional resources such as an Administrative Assistant and various Brand Ambassadors to support the new Country Sales Director.
Sales and Marketing
- Manage the import and direct sale of Underberg digestive in the US.
- Manage and work closely with the Asbach US importer (Duggan’s Distiller’s Products Corporation) and Canadian agent (PMA), their distributors and their sales teams. The Country Sales Director North America should have semi-annual business reviews with their importer/agent.
- Work with the US importer and Canadian agent to establish an annual plan containing depletion objectives, pricing, and activations/programs. The annual plan will be presented to management for approval and implemented afterwards. Review and analysis of variances will lead to the development of revised plans.
- Support the distributors in the territory. Organize meeting/business reviews to discuss performance. In addition, organize market surveys (distributors will not provide these surveys - would have to be conducted by outside agencies and a large budget would have to be allocated) to check on distribution and activation of local programs. Set-up work with partners' sales teams to provide portfolio and programming information as well as sales/portfolio training. Train and educate local partners' sales teams on product, features, and programs. Attend importer and distributors key sales events such as trade shows, holiday functions, etc.
- Participate in trade shows and events (WSWA, food and wine festivals, Fancy Food Show, National Beer Wholesalers Association, Craft Beer Convention, Oktoberfest events).
- Send monthly reports to management with information and comments on sales, depletions and programs.
- Provide regular information relating to changes with competitive brands, new products, importers, distributors and route to market, etc. Suggest new innovations by identifying new product/packaging opportunities; surveying consumer needs and trends; tracking competitors.
- Given that the market is lively, the Country Sales Director North America should spend about 40%-50% of time in the market. For Canada, visit key provinces at least once a year (meeting the provincial liquor boards and visiting retail and on-premise accounts).
- Supervise the Administrative Assistant for product and POS orders to HQ (Germany) and delivery to US importer. Supervise consumer and trade communications.
Finance, People & Legal
- Hire, train, and manage the team (Administrative Assistant and Brand Ambassadors): Lead, manage, provide energizing leadership, coach and develop the team for continued and higher contributions
- Supervise accounting (invoicing, AP, AR, deposits, cash receipt) & financial analysis function (freight costing, depletions).
- Approve and arrange for payment of all bills (administrative, marketing, advertising, etc.) (paid by our attorneys - Barton LLP).
- Consolidate and supply all financial reports to corporate accountants (DePanfilis - CT) to enable them to prepare quarterly financial statements for German HQ (Rheinberg) and corporate tax returns.
- Review and liaise with corporate attorneys (Barton LLP - NY) on all matters of product compliance and other legal topics, including website and online social media development.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the alcoholic beverage industry as national or regional sales manager/director with distributor management experience.
- Ability to work independently for a small company and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Hands-on, pragmatic, results oriented.
- Good people skills, ability to build sustainable relationships with customers and consumers.
- Good communication skills, comfortable with MS Office Suite tools.
- Willingness to drive growth curve in US.
- Ability to manage and motivate a small team.
- Good understanding of operations and ecommerce is a plus.
- Language: English, German is a plus.
(Benefits and Compensation:)
Salary is competitive with base and bonus
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to jobs(a) hrpartners-us.com with “Country Sales Director NA” in the subject line as soon as possible.