The German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest/ AHK USA-Chicago), headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Detroit, was founded in 1963. GACC Midwest is an integral part of the network of German Chambers of Commerce Abroad (AHKs) with 140 offices in 92 countries around the globe. Our continuing mission is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States, especially the Midwest. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy-quite a unique concept in international trade promotion.
GACC Midwest is seeking a full-time, bilingual (German/English) Consultant, Consulting Services with a minimum of 1-3 years of relevant work experience. The Consultant will participate in a wide range of Chamber projects and initiatives for the promotion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the US. This includes supporting our Consulting Services client companies to achieve their market entry/expansion goals in the US via services such business partner search, market research, virtual offices, site selection, recruiting services, tradeshow support, and intercultural training. Furthermore, the Consultant will work in project teams to support the organization and execution of larger programs, delegations, and initiatives, many of which include some form of government financing. The Consultant will ideally be based in our Michigan branch office in greater Detroit and will report directly to the Director of Consulting Services located in our Chicago office.
The Consultant’s role covers a wide variety of projects and industries, such as water, automotive, manufacturing & automation, medical, consumer products and renewable energies, with opportunities for specialization.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide consulting services to individual clients, which may include advising companies on their US market entry; researching potential market opportunities, sales channels and partners; managing virtual offices; and other services as needed.
- Research, analyze and report on market conditions, competitors, regulations, and other topics in order to identify opportunities and potential barriers to market entry across a diverse range of industry sectors.
- Research and contact potential distributors and other partners, which includes: Identifying potential partners and contacting them by phone and email; evaluating their suitability for a partnership and presenting these evaluations to the client; arranging meetings with potential partners; preparing clients for meetings and sometimes accompanying them to these meetings; and assisting them with any follow-up activities.
- Handle day-to-day business matters and inquiries on behalf of our virtual office clients, which includes: Recommending and executing marketing activities; arranging meetings for client, including cold outreach to potential partners and customers; coordinating with local distributors/sales partners; attending trade shows; administering postal mail and customer payments for clients.
- Support the execution of programs, delegations and trade missions under the direction of the assigned project manager, which includes: Identifying and proposing relevant topics; assisting with proposals to obtain financing from key external partners (such as the Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie); acquiring participating companies; logistical coordination (e.g. travel arrangements); preparing comprehensive market research reports; arranging meetings for participating companies with potential local business partners; assisting with marketing activities; and supporting the preparation of formal written reports summarizing project execution deliverables and outcomes.
- Organize events and conferences, which includes: Selection of topics, acquiring suitable speakers, selection of venue, acquisition of partners and sponsors, event marketing, etc.
- Answer general trade inquiries in English and German
- Support the ongoing activities of GACC Midwest, including participation in GACC Midwest member events, supporting other projects and departments as needed, etc.
- Build and maintain working relationships with key industry partners, organizations, and clients
- Continually increase knowledge of issues and developments in key industries
- Document activities, projects and correspondence per established company procedures, which includes tracking time and expenses as well as active use of GACC Midwest’s CRM system
- Actively support business development activities and initiatives to gain new clients, including identifying and contacting prospective customers and project participants via business directories, organizing and executing webinars and workshops, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and associations, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Some limited overnight travel is required, usually 2-4 days within the US and possibly 5-7 days in Germany if projects require.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant business or technical field is required
- 1-3 years of relevant post-graduate work experience
- Strong German and English language skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent communication, customer service and market research skills
- Superior time management and organizational abilities and experience in successfully managing multiple projects concurrently
- Attention to detail, thoroughness and high level of accountability a must
- Self-motivated and highly dedicated; the ideal candidate will have the mindset of noticing what should be done and taking appropriate steps to ensure successful completion.
- Strong interest in learning about new technologies
- Able to work in a team environment
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships in the AHK network and with key industry partners, multipliers & clients
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Experience in one or more fields of importance to GACC Midwest strongly desired, including machinery and automation, automotive, renewable energy and energy efficiency, food and beverage, or medical devices
- Public speaking skills are a plus
- Experience with both German and American business environments strongly desired
- Full-time employment
- Health, Dental, Vision, Short Term & Long Term Disability, Life Insurance
- 401K Matching
- 20 days paid vacation
- Position is available immediately.