Please note, if you are interested in this position, send your cover letter, educational philosophy statement, resume, and a list of three to five references to jobs[at]germanschoolchicago.com
Immediate Supervisor: School Director
Location: German International School Chicago, 1726 W Berteau Ave, Chicago, IL 60613
GISC is seeking a team player to serve as Director of Teaching & Learning. In collaboration with the Coordinator of the IB PYP (GISC is fully authorized) and MYP (GISC is in candidate school status as of March 2023), this position oversees the K-8 curriculum development, curriculum content, student assessment, parent education programs, faculty and student schedules, and faculty supervision and support. Working closely with the Head of School, the Director of Teaching & Learning also manages the day-to-day operation of the school day, including student discipline. This position builds relationships with all students, families, faculty, and staff members to create a positive, collaborative, and supportive school community. Fluency in the German language is required.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages day-to-day school operations with the Head of School
- Develops schedules for all students and all faculty
- Maintains/Updates Teacher Schedules and oversees substitute system
- Coordinates the assignments of teaching interns
- Reviews, edits beginning-of year parent communications, and report cards and progress updates throughout the school year.
- Coordinates with Department Heads and IB Coordinator the documentation of the GISC Curriculum Map, incorporating German and U.S. standards, and IB unit planners.
- Updates the Faculty Handbook annually; Assists with Student & Parent Handbook effort
- Observes, mentors, and evaluates teachers throughout the year with a focus on helping faculty grow professionally.
- Coordinates faculty meeting schedule; Preschool, Lower & Middle School, Dep’t Heads
- Leads onboarding of new faculty members; Arranges professional development in partnership with IB Coordinator
- Guides student assessment efforts, including standardized testing and implementation of GISC Assessment Policy
- Creates programs to foster global citizenship
- Reviews, develops and helps enforce school’s Code of Conduct
Other Job Responsibilities
- Develops, maintains, and ensures implementation of academic policies
- Works with Director of Enrollment to establish admission requirements for new students
- Takes on key role in growing/building out the Middle School program
- Develops and implements a series of Parent Education sessions
- Partners with the Head of School in hiring new faculty
- Approves and Evaluates all technology applications being used to enhance instruction
- Plays a key role in accreditation efforts
- Partners with IB Coordinator in organizing annual professional development
- Plans, implements, and monitors budgets in all areas of Teaching and Learning.
- Extends himself/herself beyond the responsibilities of a job description when the need arises. Assists Head of School with all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or graduate degree (preferred)
- Teaching experience, Leadership experience; Experience with PYP and MYP a plus
- Organizational Skills; Google Suite knowledge is a plus
- Interpersonal skills: relating and connecting with students, colleagues, and parents
- Commitment to best practices in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (commitment, courage, cognizance of bias, curiosity, cultural intelligence, and collaboration)
- Knowledge of current educational research and best practices for instruction.
- Leadership skills including visioning, active listening, coaching, facilitation, conflict resolution strategies, and procedures, and team management building methods, techniques
- Fluency/Proficiency in German language required
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in the US (GISC will sponsor necessary visa and employment authorization for candidates from overseas)
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Benefits: Include health, dental, and vision insurance, and a 401k which includes a matching program, life & disability insurance, school holidays, generous paid time off/sick pay program
Start Date: July 1, 2022
Application Deadline: March 18, 2022 (GISC reserves the right to complete the search in advance of the deadline).
The German International School Chicago does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender identity, religion, or disability in its employment policies. It is an equal opportunity employer. It is the School’s policy to comply with all applicable national and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity.