The German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest/ AHK USA-Chicago), headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Detroit, was founded in 1963. GACC Midwest is an integral part of the network of German Chambers of Commerce Abroad (AHKs) with 140 offices in 92 countries around the globe. Our continuing mission is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States, especially the Midwest. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy-quite a unique concept in international trade promotion.
GACC Midwest is seeking a full-time Manager, Government Projects and Trade Missions who will oversee and manage programs, delegations, and initiatives, many of which include some form of government financing. The Manager, Government Projects and Trade Missions will be a key part of a small, dynamic, and hard-working team. Candidates with less or significantly more experience than the listed range are still encouraged to apply as there may be flexibility to amend the seniority level and associated responsibilities of the role. Please note that this position will be based out of our office in downtown Chicago and is not a telecommuting opportunity.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Preparation of Exportinitiative and Markterschließung projects as well as Trade Missions for individual German States and industry sectors.
- Draft proposals (primarily in German) in accordance with the specific guidelines of key partner(s).
- Prepare project budgets with multiple currencies as well as timetables for project deliverables.
- Research industry information to identify and justify suitable project topics.
- Liaise with key partners to identify opportunities and new concepts for projects.
- Ensure that all requirements and regulations are adhered to throughout the project cycle.
- Oversee project budgets and time expenditures and ensure that key project objectives and financial outcomes are met.
- Maintain appropriate documentation (primarily in German) per established guidelines, both internal and those of key project partners.
- Conduct thorough market research for each topic/industry focus, including identifying key market players, trends, and emerging technologies in both the US and Germany. Synthesize gathered information into market research reports per company standards.
- Cooperate with external partners to acquire participants as appropriate.
- Arrange business meetings between trade mission participants and target business partners using direct outreach via email and phone.
- Maintain and document communication with all internal and external project stakeholders including project reporting with respect to project guidelines and German subsidy law.
- Coordinate logistics such as travel arrangements as appropriate.
- Prepare formal written reports summarizing project execution deliverables and outcomes.
- Identify current topics of interest within the industry field.
- Research suitable speakers and invite them to participate.
- Develop targeted promotional campaigns in close coordination with internal PR & Marketing department, including drafting flyers, website text, mailing campaigns and targeted social media posts.
- Acquire sponsors for events as appropriate.
- Work closely with internal Events team on logistical matters such as venue, catering, A/V, etc. and ensure that expenditures are within program budget.