Start date: April 2020 for 9-12 months
Duration: 9-12 months
The mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest (GACC Midwest) is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States. GACC Midwest is located in downtown Chicago and offers internship programs for talented students and recent graduates.
All internships offer the opportunity to gain work experience in a truly bilingual and bicultural environment, with support from colleagues that can help speed the learning curve of understanding intercultural differences and nuances.
- Very strong English skills are required. German language skills, while not required, would be very helpful.
- Solid understanding of generally accepted accounting principles. Ideally, the intern should have completed at least 6 credit hours of financial accounting coursework.
- Very strong attention to detail, financial aptitude and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Excel are required, including the ability to run advanced functions such as Macros. Exposure to computerized accounting systems such as Quickbooks would be a definite plus.
- The intern will learn about the day-to-day accounting procedures within the Chamber, and gain practical experience in the areas of general ledger accounting, account reconciliations, maintenance of subsidiary ledgers, preparation of supporting schedules and ad hoc reports.
- In addition to learning routine accounting procedures the intern will also be involved in special projects, including the implementation of a fixed asset tracking system and an accounting system conversion.
Please note that selection activities commence about six months before the start date.