The German American Chamber of Commerce of the Southern United States, Inc. (GACC South) is a private, non-profit organization that serves as the official representative of German industry and trade in the Southern United States (U.S.). Our main mission is to promote and support bilateral trade between Germany and the U.S. Our services focus on the areas of Consulting, Membership, and Apprenticeships. We are part of an international network composed of 140 German foreign chambers of commerce and government offices in 92 countries.
Our Skills Initiative Team supports our member and non-member companies as well as other industry associations, educational institutions, and government agencies to cover the demand for a skilled workforce in various industry sectors in the Southeastern US. To this end, we help with the creation of new programs based on the German model of apprenticeships and assist with the management of existing programs. For more information about our flagship program, please visit our GA CATT home page. GA CATT is an affiliate of the ICATT Apprenticeship Program.
The Apprenticeship Success Coordinator position is generously supported by The Halle Foundation. The mission of The Halle Foundation is to promote understanding, knowledge, and friendship between the people of Germany, as seen in its European context, and those of the United States. In furtherance of this mission, the Foundation supports, primarily through grantmaking, initiatives, and activities in the fields of education, culture, science, technology, language, scholarship, and international relations
Reports to: Director, Skills Initiative
- Provide consultation to existing GA CATT network companies regarding best practices for apprenticeship study materials, preparation for exams, mentorship, and other inquiries as needed.
- Oversee GA CATT mentor and apprentice communications in collaboration with Senior Technical Trainer
- Expand the knowledge hub of learning materials and resources for mentors and apprentices
- Planning, coordination, and execution of informational events at local educational partners showcasing the GA CATT apprenticeship program to interested students and their parents and driving recruitment in GACC South territory.
- Oversee transition of apprentice logbooks to a digital solution (full project management)
- In coordination with Skills Initiative Director, manage relationships with key stakeholders in the German American business community, promoting apprenticeships as a viable solution to long-term workforce development issues.
- Together with Skills Initiative team members, position the GACC South as a valued partner for German-style apprenticeships in the Southern US.
- Uphold DIHK (Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag / Association of German Chambers of Industry and Commerce) standards for dual vocational training abroad for existing apprentice occupational pathways are met (Advanced Manufacturing Technician, CNC Machining, Mechatronics Technician).
Skills and Abilities:
- Completed undergraduate studies in Business, Human Resources or Education, or an Associate degree as part of a completed dual apprenticeship in Germany
- 3-5 years’ work experience. Relevant experience and knowledge in the field of workforce development or apprenticeships in a technical field a plus
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Highly dedicated with the ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of manufacturing requirements and operational processes ideal.
- High level of intercultural competence, in particular a good understanding of the US and German markets, as well as familiarity with both business cultures.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent reading, writing & oral proficiency in English; some German language skills preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Self-confident manner combined with team spirit.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-based, bilateral environment.
- Proven ability to prioritize and allocate time and resources efficiently.
- Self-motivated, excellent communication and customer orientation
- Comfortable with some travel including weekends and working in a continuously changing environment.
- High comfort level interacting with clients.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft365 programs, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Analytical mindset, with a mathematical aptitude and ability to analyze figures.
Work context-Physical requirements:
- Work is performed in an office environment and other locations when on business travel.
- 50% regional travel requirement
- Employee may be subject to some lifting (filing boxes product samples), and exposure to fumes, chemicals (ink and toners)
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot answer each application personally.
We review all incoming applications, and if we find your skills meet our particular needs, we will contact you.