Assistant Manager – Special Projects
at German American Events, LLC (Christkindlmarket Chicago)
Start date: March/April 2022
Who we are:
The Christkindlmarket is the most authentic traditional holiday market of its kind outside of Europe, offering a unique shopping experience, family-friendly events & intercultural activities. It unites cherished German and European tradition with international flair and local charm. Inspired by the 16th century Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany it is well-known for its vendors’ high-quality gifts and food, holiday cheer, and for being the ideal place for families to make unique memories through special dining experiences and events. It brings a cherished German and European tradition with international flair and local charm to Chicago. Chicago’s Christkindlmarket was first conceptualized in 1995. The German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest Inc. (GACC Midwest) was seeking alternative ways to promote bilateral trade between the USA and Germany. The market was an instant success and continues to flourish through the work of GACC Midwest’s subsidiary, German American Events, LLC.
- Lead Business Development/Sales efforts for Stammtisch packages (reserved tables for small groups at set time periods with table service of select food and drink) and for larger private receptions of 25-125 guests for all market locations.
- Support the conceptualization of additional revenue-positive events that could be organized by German American Events, LLC in alignment with the company’s identity and mission. Conduct comprehensive feasibility assessments of these concepts and work to further develop promising proposals. Recommend new ideas for additional revenue generation at existing events.
- Network with local and international companies throughout the Chicagoland Area to increase awareness of events and partnership opportunities.
- Support on-site operations at assigned market location(s), with a specific focus on overseeing all aspects related to reserved Stammtisch parties and private receptions, including set-up/decoration, food and beverage service, clean-up, and guest communications.
- Assist in planning and monitoring event budgets.
- Analyze existing processes and structures and recommend/implement areas of improvement.
- Conduct market research to identify trends and develop merchandise product ideas. Select and source materials from outside vendors and suppliers to meet product requirements
- Ensure that all visitors to the markets have a positive experience by always providing exceptional customer service and dealing effectively with any concerns or complaints. Collect and analyze visitors’ data for further improvements.
- Ensure smooth and safe daily market operations: Manage staff, interns and volunteers, direct external contractors, and address support requests from vendors.
- Other duties as assigned
Required qualifications & skills:
- Comprehensive experience in special event planning, organization, and execution is strongly preferred; candidates without existing experience in large-scale events should have a strong interest in the field.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in the areas of Business, Marketing, or Event Management; a related degree or equivalent qualification is also acceptable
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with visitors, vendors, contractors, media, etc. Strong knowledge of best practices related to the event and hospitality industry
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines; reliable, hardworking, self-motivated and a strong team player with an outgoing, energetic personality
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and heightened attention to detail; candidates must be able to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends (depending on staff schedule) during high season right before and during event dates
- Must be available during Fall and Winter holidays; willingness to work outdoors on-site during event (between mid-November and New Year’s Eve)
- Proficient computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- The applicant must possess a current and valid driver’s license and must be willing to travel
- Candidates should ideally be open for future relocation to support new events organized by German American Events, LLC.