Director, Marketing and Communications
Who Are We?
The continuing mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce® of the Midwest (GACC Midwest / AHK USA-Chicago), a 501 (c)(6) organization headquartered in Chicago with a branch office in Michigan, is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the Midwestern region of the United States. Our organization combines elements of a trade commission, a membership association, and a professional consultancy - quite a unique concept in international trade promotion. Read more about our organization at www.gaccmidwest.org
What does this role entail?
Responsible for planning, development, and implementation of GACC Midwest’s marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal. Directs the efforts of the marketing, communications and public relations staff and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of GACC Midwest.
Within the organization, the position has primary working relationships with the President, Vice President, and senior management team. This position manages a team of three direct reports and an intern, while coordinating with staff in each department, as well as our subsidiary, which organizes the Christkindlmarket Chicago.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Craft effective and action-driven messaging to increase participation and awareness of GACC Midwest programs, initiatives, services, and events.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations strategy that will enhance GACC Midwest’s image and position within the marketplace and facilitate internal and external communications. This includes online & social media (including the GACC Midwest website), publications, media relations, and creating presentations. This also includes collaborative PR projects with the GACC / AHK USA network with offices in Atlanta, New York, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and partners in Germany and the global AHK network.
- Ensure articulation of GACC Midwest’s and German-American business community’s image and positioning internally and externally.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of all electronic and print publications.
- Coordinate media interest in GACC Midwest as well as broader themes related to German-American trade and investment, as well as our Apprenticeship Networks and other key programs. Ensure regular contact with all relevant target groups.
- Develop, coordinate, and oversee programs, technical assistance and internal systems to assist GACC Midwest departments in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities and services.
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. This includes creating revenue-generating opportunities for members and sponsors to promote themselves through GACC marketing channels.
- Coordinate business surveys with our umbrella organization (DIHK), and our AHK USA network, including leveraging results with GACC Midwest target audiences.
Who are we looking for?
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in marketing, communications, or public relations with demonstrated success
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities, especially in a B2B environment
- Excellent writing skills, particularly with experience for selling services and/or membership & events
- Strong strategic, analytical, organizational, and personal sales skills
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Experience overseeing design and production
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
- Fluent German and English language skills, both written and oral
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or public relations preferred
Why GACC Midwest?
At GACC Midwest, we believe that our benefits should make a difference - to you, your job, today and in the future. We are dedicated to supporting our most valuable asset, our employees!
- 20 paid vacation days
- 14 Paid holidays including Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, plus additional days around Thanksgiving and Year End
- “Unlimited” Sick Day Policy
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance with multiple plan options and networks (BlueCross / BlueShield HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Employee Life / Spouse Life
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Life Insurance + (AD&D)/ Spouse AD&D
- Long-Term Disability
- FSA Health Care / FSA Transit
- 401(k) matching with a competitive, discretionary employer contribution
- Bonus plan
- Plus: Work from Home Policy, Flex-Time Policy
- We offer German classes for our employees in collaboration with a German language institute
Please note that we require all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. GACC Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law. Potential employees are subject to background checks.