Who we are:
The mission of the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest (GACC Midwest) is to promote and assist in the expansion of bilateral trade and investment between Germany and the United States. All positions offer the opportunity to gain work experience in a truly bilingual and bicultural environment, with support from colleagues that can help speed the learning curve of understanding intercultural differences and nuances.
The Christkindlmarket Chicago is the most authentic traditional holiday market of its kind outside of Europe, offering a unique shopping experience, family-friendly events and intercultural activities. It brings a cherished German and European tradition with international flair and local charm to Chicago. Chicago’s Christkindlmarket was first conceptualized in 1995 with the first event occurring in 1996. The market was an instant success and continues to flourish through the work of GACC Midwest’s subsidiary, German American Events, LLC.
In 2021, the Christkindlmarket celebrated the 25th anniversary of the downtown Chicago location and we are looking for an enthusiastic individual to support this event as it moves forward for another 25 years and beyond.
- Identify and approach potential sponsors for the markets. Develop and negotiate customized sponsorship packages and execute contracts that drive revenue for German American Events, LLC while creating value for the sponsor.
- Support the conceptualization and secure sponsorship income for additional revenue-positive events in alignment with the company’s identity and mission.
- Recommend new ideas and identify new assets for additional revenue generation at existing events.
- Network with local and international companies throughout the Chicagoland area, in greater Illinois and nationally in order to increase awareness of events and sponsorship opportunities.
- Ensure, track, and demonstrate that sponsors achieve their specific goals and benefits before, during, and after market operations.
- Plan and monitor event budgets and oversee sponsorship team to ensure goals, forecasts and deadlines are met.
- Work with GAE, LLC team members to assist with their needs for acquiring sponsors for special projects.
- Analyze existing processes and structures and recommend/implement areas of improvement.
- Support sponsors and partners at event locations and ensure all are setup for success while providing them first class service and support.
- Ensure that all visitors and sponsors of the markets have a positive experience by always providing exceptional customer service and dealing effectively with any concerns or complaints.
- Ensure smooth and safe daily market operations: Manage staff, interns and volunteers, direct external contractors and address support requests from vendors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & skills:
- Minimum 3-5 years comprehensive experience in Corporate Relationship Management, Sales and/or sponsor acquisition for events or non-profits.
- Experience in event planning, organization, and execution is strongly preferred; candidates without existing experience in large-scale events should have a strong interest in the field.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in the areas of Business, Communication, Marketing, Sales or Event Management; a related degree or equivalent qualification is also acceptable.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with visitors, vendors, contractors, media, etc.
- Outgoing personality who is at ease in networking environments.
- Strong knowledge of best practices related to the event industry.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines; reliable, hardworking, self-motivated and a strong team player with an outgoing, energetic personality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and heightened attention to detail; candidates must be able to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Must be available during Fall and Winter holidays; willingness to work outdoors on-site during event (between November and New Year’s Eve).
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends (dependent on staff schedule) during the holiday season before, during, and after event dates.
- Proficient computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience with Slack, Netsuite, Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator and Microsoft Outlook and Teams a plus.
- Graphic design experience a plus.
- Experience using a CRM platform a plus.
- Ability and willingness to lift to move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) weighing 10 pounds or more.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a passenger vehicle desired.
Why GACC Midwest?
At GACC Midwest, we believe that our benefits should make a difference - to you, your job, today and in the future. We are dedicated to supporting our most valuable asset, our employees!
- 20 paid vacation days
- 14 Paid holidays including Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Thanksgiving Day, plus additional days around Thanksgiving and Year End
- “Unlimited” Sick Day Policy
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance with multiple plan options and networks (BlueCross / BlueShield HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company-paid Life Insurance + AD&D / Spouse AD&D
- Long-Term Disability
- FSA Health Care / FSA Transit
- 401(k) matching with a competitive, discretionary employer contribution
- Bonus plan
- Plus: Work from Home Policy, Flex-Time Policy
- We offer German classes in collaboration with the Goethe Institute
Please note, we require all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. GACC Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law. Potential employees are subject to background checks.