Our client is a leading German-based, internationally-operating automotive supplier who is currently seeking a Managing Director & Plant Manager for their US subsidiary located in the greater Cincinnati metro area. Please contact us for additional information about the hiring organization.
The Managing Director & Plant Manager will carry P&L responsibility and will oversee all production-related and commercial aspects of the business in the US market. Furthermore, he/she will spearhead various LEAN initiatives as well as drive a further digitalization of the production facility (IIoT).
The Managing Director & Plant Manager will lead a growing team of roughly 130 employees, with the functional heads of the following areas serving as direct reports: Engineering, Logistics, Production & Maintenance, Quality Assurance, Plant Controlling, Human Resources, Occupational Safety, IT and Purchasing. He/she will report cross-functionally to the CEO and COO at the German HQ.
- Oversee production and related functions and define production goals that optimize capacity utilization. Align production planning with sales planning and order intake on an ongoing basis. Ensure that customers’ products are delivered on-time, within cost parameters and in accordance with customer requirements as well as all quality and regulatory standards. Take corrective actions as needed.
- Develop and implement standards and specifications for optimal production processes in the areas of plastic- and rubber injection molding, vulcanization and assembly of bonded rubber-to-metal components. Monitor and evaluate production output in terms of cost and quality factors and initiate process improvements where necessary.
- Ensure that production equipment is properly maintained, serviced and changed-over as required for optimal efficiency and to avoid any disruptions to scheduled production runs. Drive LEAN initiatives in all areas of operations to maximize efficiency and profitability.
- Lead plant engineering initiatives to ensure optimal design of production lines. Recommend upgrades to existing equipment as appropriate in line with technical advancements in the market and/or changes in customer requirements/product design. Ensure that production processes and equipment fulfill all company, legal, regulatory, and environmental requirements and allow the company to maintain its market competitiveness.
- Based on company standards, develop an action plan to incorporate Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) technologies throughout plant operations for improved data collection and analysis and present this to German HQ for review and approval.
- In close coordination with central Quality Management at German HQ, support the further development, expansion, and implementation of uniform quality standards and guidelines for the global organization. Work with local on-site QA Director to ensure that these standards are adhered to in all aspects of operations and take corrective action as required.
- Guide top-level resource planning for personnel, materials, finances and any required capital expenditures in coordination with functional team leaders. Develop annual operating budgets and present them to senior leadership at German HQ for approval. Monitor budgets and resource forecasts on an ongoing basis and initiate appropriate countermeasures in cases of actual or anticipated deviations.
- Ensure that all local procurement and logistical activities conform to company standards set by German HQ and align seamlessly with production scheduling.
- In coordination with local functional leaders, develop and implement monitoring systems which ensure that all workplace safety and environmental regulations are strictly adhered to at all times. Identify potential hazards in these areas and deal with proactively to avoid incidents.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc financial and operational reports for Management at the German HQ to support future planning and decision-making.
- Lead, motivate and mentor direct reports and support HR colleagues with key decisions related to staffing decisions (hire/fire of key personnel), new employee policies, incentive programs, etc. Ensure that all departments follow HR guidelines and create a positive culture and work environment for the entire team. As appropriate, make recommendations for adjustments to organizational and operational structures.
- Represent the local subsidiary externally by developing and nurturing relationships with key partners including customers, relevant industry associations, regulatory authorities and local public and governmental organizations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Business or Engineering discipline is required; an MBA would be of value.
- Minimum of 10+ years of comprehensive production oversight experience, including 5+ years at the Plant Manager level, ideally in facilities utilizing injection molding and vulcanization processes. Strong technical skills and understanding of production planning, intralogistics, facility maintenance and prevalent Quality Assurance practices are required.
- A background in the Automotive industry is required.
- Prior P&L responsibility; experience developing and overseeing budgets and well revenue forecasts.
- Experience in implementing LEAN processes and guiding IIoT projects.
- Excellent team leadership abilities; ability to maximize performance of employees across all functions while fostering a collaborative and positive work environment.
- Fundamental understanding of sales and general business operations and the ability to optimize processes.
- German language skills would be advantageous but are not an absolute requirement; candidates should ideally have an appreciation for the German business culture.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Adept at using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- High levels of intrinsic motivation, integrity and business ethics with the ability to foster trust and nurture long-term relationships with the customer base.